The place where my brain speaks to whoever reads.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

I learned two days ago I got the NROTC scholarship. The guy said it listed the U of M as the school it applies to, but St.Thomas was my first choice, and their part of the program works in conjunction with the U of M, so idk. It would probably require me a couple of days a week to go across town to the U of M campus to the ROTC center there, which would suck. I'm not sure I'm into that. I'm also not sure on how long I have to decide to accept it or not. This ROTC program would pay for my 4 years of college. I would have to major in something dealing with science of course. After college I would serve 4 years on active duty, and would then spend 4 years on reserve after that. Such a long time. I keep thinking on what job I would want to have after that, but it would probably take care of itself when in the Navy. Do I want to stay in Minnesota? Or would I care to live somewhere else? Do I want to keep traditions going that I've had in my life so far? One job I've thought about doing going the Non-ROTC route is being a teacher. Not exactly what subject to teach, but it would be at high school level. The feeling of teaching kids your interests, in tomorrow's tech filled world seems really appealing to me. It would be immensely rewarding, thats for sure. Of course, once I get out of college, I would basically start teaching almost the same stuff for the rest of my career. Well sort of. Would there be chances to teach or try new things in life? Should I go out into the world and go beyond before I settle down into a career? My dad never got a chance to do that. My mom basically has been travelling all her life though, so thats good. And she likes her jon. My attachment to Minnesota seems high, but should I make a point to live somewhere else? I've been trying to think of other careers and jobs I would want to do or be interested in, but nothin' much has been coming up. Thats what college is for. Going the Non-ROTC route would allow me to explore more options in college for sure, so thats another route. Another thing to deal with is world politics in the future. North Korea, Iran, Syria, and China. These are all dangerous countries, and I've got a feeling something or another is going to happen with one of them. I've heard most NROTC guys don't serve during their reserve years, but with these countries, there's bound for something to happen. Up to 8 years in the Navy doesn't sound appealing. I would rather have a job, an assignment, or something else that would take about 4-5 years of my life after collage than spend it in the Navy. Of course I would go places, but I'm not into the danger that goes along with it. There's thrills in life other than the Navy, I know. I don't want to fight an enemy that could have been avoided. I don't want to fight one that we created (i.e. the "war" of today).

I just want to make a decision and go on from there and deal with it. I know we all have immense potential. I hope I use get to use all of mine.

When I see it, I'll understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home